Photography is a glamorous profession. There are many types of careers in photography. Fashion photography is one of them. Read on to know about fashion photographer’s salary.
Fashion photography is one of the oldest genre of photography, began way back in 1936 when Martin Munkacsi took sporty photographs of models at the beach. It focuses on taking pictures of fashion clothing and accessories worn by models or in fashion shows.
When you think of a fashion photographer, the first thing that comes to mind are the various fashion magazines like Vogue, Vanity Fair and Harper’s Bazaar which are considered as bibles for fashion enthusiasts.
Fashion photography is a job which demands constant creative and technical skills. Due to this high requirement fashion photographers get paid extremely well. Usually they are employed by fashion designers, magazines and catalogs. According to reports an employed fashion photographer’s salary range starts from $38,000.
The pay package also depends upon the number of years he/she has given to this demanding job. Experienced and top level photographers who have made their mark in the world of fashion earn a handsome package of $80,000 and above annually. Freelancers earn up to $800 a day depending upon the number of assignments they get.
Their salary package depends on various factors like location, experience and expertise. Fashion photographers work with glamorous fashion models and designers. They even get offers for independent assignments which fetches them good money. But, this profession has its own challenges. Most photographers work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
To be a successful fashion photographer, my advice is to build up a strong work portfolio so that you land up in a good job and also have better growth prospects.
Education and Training
A career in fashion photography does not require a degree and skills required for fashion photography can easily be acquired by attending workshops. An educational degree is not essential but can serve as a feather in the cap for budding fashion photographers.
These photographers are not only paid to take pretty pictures of models and clothing, they are expected to plan the entire shoot, keeping the taste of the fashion designer or label in mind. The trick is to highlight the clothing in the photos, so that it attracts the consumer’s attention.
Interested aspirants can develop their talent and enhance their creative skills by taking up an internship program or by assisting an accomplished professional. The world of fashion photography comes with a lot of glamor and competition. So, have a strong base to make a mark in the world of fashion.
As a professional photographer you are obliged to perform the following tasks:
- Take good photos of models, as per the client’s taste.
- Maintain a good working relationship with the models so that they can give their best poses and also be comfortable in front of the camera.
- Have a proper studio lighting equipment so that the best shots can be clicked.
- Come up with some unique and creative fashion photo concept that will tempt the clients.
- Have a good coordination with the fashion stylist, agents and set directors.
- Fashion photographers should do photo shoots in new locations, so that they are comfortable to work in different light conditions.
- Maintain a hassle free and a professional working atmosphere to allow models to be at ease.
- Bring out the best poses in models during the shoot.
- Create a good personal and professional rapport with models to have a successful photo shoot.
Initially, there is a high possibility that budding fashion photographers would face difficulty in getting a job but would find a lot of freelance assignments. So, start with freelance work, as many companies prefer working with freelancers than with salaried employees. Having an impressive amount of body work ensures a better future in this field.